Feds Sue A & F over refusal to allow Muslim headscarves in theworkplace

Robert Sheridan rs at robertsheridan.com
Thu Sep 2 07:11:11 PDT 2010

  Assuming that the A&F store policy lawfully forbids the wearing of
religious symbols, I presume that employees may not wear a necklace
bearing a cross or a chai, nor a yarmulka, nor a tattoo of a religious
symbol, nor a Sikh turban, or the like.

Broadening the question to the issue of dominant cultural mores, as
asserted in the reader- comment to the news article, what do you think
of legislation pending in France subjecting Muslim women who choose to
wear a burqa (a head-to-toe overgarment with openings to see and
breathe) to a fine?  Would ban-the-burqa legislation, if enacted in the
U.S., likely be constitutional as a general law only incidentally
affecting a specific minority, a la Smith v. Employment Division claims
of religious freedom in light of a ban on a narcotic drug used as a
sacrament?  I believe that the argument that the covering conceals
identity from the general public and the authorities was rejected as a
compelling state interest in cases involving masks worn in public
decades ago, if recollection serves, leaving the main motive against the
burqa a religious one.

Further regarding cultural pressure, are nursing mothers
constitutionally entitled to nurse uncovered in public w/o fear of
citation or arrest for some form of alleged indecent exposure or
disorderly conduct?

rs