President Obama's recent appointments

Steve Sanders stevesan at umich.edu
Sat Mar 27 23:09:37 PDT 2010

The Constitution does not contemplate the filibuster; it's a rule of the
Senate that has been added and changed over the years.  Presumably the
Framers envisioned that confirmation would simply require a majority vote.
Thus, I guess I don't see any more of a constitutional or separation of
powers issue here than when one senator places a "hold" on a nominee --
pursuant to a different rule of the Senate -- and the president appoints
him/her anyway.

Steve

Steve Sanders
Attorney, Supreme Court and appellate litigation group, Mayer Brown LLP
Adjunct faculty, University of Michigan Law School
Email: stevesan at umich.edu
Personal home page: www.stevesanders.net