Health Care Question

Nelson Lund nlund at gmu.edu
Mon Mar 22 15:09:20 PDT 2010

If Sandy hopes that a significant number of people will believe that the
constitutional issues raised by this health care financing bill are so
"transcendentally important" and so compelled by "one's basic moral
suppositions" as to justify rioting in the street, I predict that he
will be disappointed. I think that such a disappointing outcome would
reflect a healthy disposition in the polity, but I don't think our
disagreement on that point could be usefully debated on this list.

Rioting in the streets, of course, frequently results in people getting
killed. Accordingly, I do hope that the polite tenor of this discussion
will be kept in mind if anyone on the list ever expresses a hope for the
assassination of abortionists.

Nelson Lund
George Mason