Health Care Question

Edward A Hartnett Edward.Hartnett at shu.edu
Mon Mar 22 13:03:27 PDT 2010

It's not just state militia laws.  The federal Militia Act of 1792 provided:

"That every citizen, so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch, with a box therein, to contain not less than twenty four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball; or with a good rifle, knapsack, shot-pouch, and powder-horn, twenty balls suited to the bore of his rifle, and a quarter of a pound of powder; and shall appear so armed, accoutred and provided, when called out to exercise or into service, except, that when called out on company days to exercise only, he may appear without a knapsack. That the commissioned Officers shall severally be armed with a sword or hanger, and espontoon; and that from and after five years from the passing of this Act, all muskets from arming the militia as is herein required, shall be of bores sufficient for balls of the eighteenth part of a pound; and every citizen so enrolled, and providing himself with the arms, ammunition and accoutrements, required as aforesaid, shall hold the same exempted from all suits, distresses, executions or sales, for debt or for the payment of taxes."

Edward A. Hartnett
Richard J. Hughes Professor
     for Constitutional and Public Law and Service
edward.hartnett at shu.edu
Phone: 973-642-8842
Fax:  973-642-8546
SSRN author page: http://ssrn.com/author=253335