Possible flip of House to GOP in November, and justiciability of "deeming passed" procedure

Crowley, Donald CROWLEY at uidaho.edu
Thu Mar 18 13:03:34 PDT 2010

Mark:  I think you are mischaracterizing the vote.  At this point we
don't know what voting procedure will be used but the deem and pass
method has been used frequently in the past under Republican leadership.
You are correct that it doesn't entail a separate vote on the Senate
Health Care bill but there would be a recorded vote and it is certainly
fair to claim that anyone who votes for the bill has in fact voted for
the Senate bill.  The only difference would be that there would be one
vote for the Senate bill with the reconciled additions.  My
understanding was that the Senate bill would go to the President for a
signature while the reconciliation bill would go to the Senate for a
vote.  That then would go to the President for a signature.  I'm not
sure I understand what you find constitutionally objectionable about
this.  Perhaps this won't be the procedure that is followed but it is
what I understood to be under discussion.

Don