Some thoughts on the "undue burden" concept

Volokh, Eugene VOLOKH at law.ucla.edu
Wed Mar 3 14:16:12 PST 2010

            It seems to me that the Casey version of the test doesn't contemplate any narrow tailoring inquiry or necessity inquiry.  Rather,

A finding of an undue burden is a shorthand for the conclusion that a state regulation has the purpose or effect of placing a substantial obstacle in the path of a woman seeking an abortion of a nonviable fetus.

The focus is just on the magnitude (actual and intended) of the burden on the right.  My sense is that making "undue burden" into something like "intermediate scrutiny," with the possibility that even substantial obstacles - down to total bans - may be constitutional because they are "due" is likely to cause confusion, and to make the test very different from the Casey test.  If one wants to argue for a different standard, that's fine; consider, for instance, Zablocki v. Redhail's articulation of the unenumerated rights test as to the right to marry:

When a statutory classification significantly interferes with the exercise of a fundamental right, it cannot be upheld unless it is supported by sufficiently important state interests and is closely tailored to effectuate only those interests.

That sounds like a test that contains both a burden threshold ("significantly interferes") and a possibility that even substantial burdens can be justified under some heightened scrutiny ("closely tailored to effectuate" "sufficiently important state interests").  I think that test won't work well for the right to bear arms, for reasons I discussed in Part I.C of http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/2am.pdf .  But at least it would clearly articulate the steps of the inquiry, rather than using the "undue burden" formulation, which on its face is more opaque and which, as defined in Casey, is quite different from the Zablocki test.

            Eugene