The First Two Amendments

Humbach, Prof. John A. jhumbach at law.pace.edu
Wed Mar 3 11:19:40 PST 2010

These are some great quotes, Eugene. But I'm wondering if they (particularly the one from Blanding) do not simply reflect the fact that, until the 1920s, it was pretty well accepted that the First Amendment's protection of free speech and press was essentially nothing more than a prohibition on prior restraints. See Patterson v. Colorado, 205 U.S. 454, 462 (1907) ("the main purpose of [the First Amendment] is '"'to prevent . . . previous restraints upon publications . . .' and they do not prevent the subsequent punishment of such as may be deemed contrary to the public welfare"), which quotes Blanding with approval

Of course, one could apply much the same analysis to the Second Amendment, too: It prohibits prior restraints on gun violence, but allows it to be punished after it occurs.

So then, the analogous question becomes, when can the government act to head off a mere risk of gun violence (as you say, "some grave danger")? The First Amendment cases suggest three choices:

1) Brandenburg (the law can ban only that prospective gun violence which is both intended and likely to occur).

2) O'Brien (a gun ban is okay if it "furthers a substantial governmental interest" and the incidental burden on gun possession is "no greater than essential" to further that interest-though not necessarily the "least restrictive alternative")

3) Renton/Ginsberg rational basis test (bans are okay if the evidence of possible adverse effects "is reasonably believed" by the legislature "to be relevant to the problem" or it is "not irrational for the legislature to find" such to be the case).

I should say that the rational basis analysis used in Renton and Ginsberg kind of irritates me in the First Amendment context, but these cases and their progeny (e.g., Pap's) are still out there, unoverruled, to be imported to the Second Amendment context as soon as the current 5-4 flips the other way.

BTW, I think your "scrutiny of scrutiny" in Implementing the Right is very illuminating, Nonetheless, my money is on Renton/Ginsberg. As long as the "scientific" evidence on the causes of gun violence is in serious dispute, the Court is not going to override the choice of legislatures to chose one set of studies over another.

John

John A. Humbach, Professor of Law
Pace University School of Law
78 North Broadway