Salazar v. Buono - A Hypothetical

John Bickers bickersj1 at nku.edu
Fri Apr 30 14:37:31 PDT 2010

Many post-civil war constitutions seem to have such an acknowledgement.
Kentucky's (from 1891) does ("We, the people of the Commonwealth of
Kentucky, grateful to Almighty God for the civil, political and
religious liberties we enjoy, and invoking the continuance of these
blessings, do ordain and establish this Constitution. "), and I believe
that is why the Preamble was included in the set of documents meant to
place in context the Ten Commandments in McCreary County.  Indeed, as
Justice Souter noted, the list of documents in the "Foundations of
American Law and Government" display seem to have a religious connection
of some kind, and the Fourteenth Amendment--surely a foundational
document--is conspicuous by its absence.

[As an aside, does anyone beside me suspect that "American" was added
late--and in the wrong place--to the name constructed for the display?]

John Bickers
Salmon P. Chase College of Law
Northern Kentucky University