descriptive scholarly accounts of religious identityandjudicial behavior?

Janet Alexander jca at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 22 13:39:01 PDT 2010

I know what the Union Jack is. What I said is that -- unlike a cross
at a war memorial, or symbols reflecting the role of religion in the
history of the Southwest -- those crosses did not have any religious
symbolism at all for the Hawaiians who adopted it as part of their
flag (since they had a state religion that was polytheistic and
headed by the King who designed the flag) and never have had any
religious significance in the context of the flag. It is not that
they do not have any religious significance "for Hawaiians
today."  They never had any religious significance whatever for
Hawaiians, but only a purely secular significance reflecting the
relationship of Hawaii with Great Britain. Thus the Hawaiian flag is
not an apt example of a "cross" that has both religious and secular
significance.