A musing

Paul Finkelman paul.finkelman at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 11 08:55:11 PDT 2010

Robert writes;  "  Today we don't think opposition to discrimination against blacks to be 'liberal' but mainstream and the discrimination plain wrong as well as
illegal and immoral.  What happened?  Where did the shift occur?"

Has the shift really occurred?  I think you only have to look at the racism of the right wing of the Republicans -- Rep. Wilson yelling out that Obama is a liar; tea party people yelling "nigger" at black members of Congress to see that substantial numbers of white Americans -- from the tea party crowd to South Carolina Congressmen to Glen Beck -- are deeply racist and deeply hostile, not only to blacks but to anyone who is not "white" but their definition of the term.  In much of the country it is also perfectly ok to campaign against Hispanics as long as you phrase it in terms like "illegal aliens" and "illegal voting."   I think vast numbers of Americans (look at the ratings of those who listen to the rants of Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh; look at the suggestions over and over again that Obama is not an "American") do NOT think it is immoral to discriminate.

 ----
Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY  12208

518-445-3386 (p)