Responsibility of elected officials against a backdrop of violence

Mitch Berman MBerman at law.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 7 21:10:40 PDT 2010

Well, yes and no, it seems to me.

Judge Boggs has surely captured something real and important.  But has he captured everything that's real and important?  I'm not sure.

Surely it's not ALWAYS the case that the "right" posture (the posture that is most true or objective, or that is morally preferable to adopt-or anything roughly along these lines) is one of complete even-handedness.   "The Nazis believed that X, and the anti-Nazis believed that not-X" doesn't quite capture everything.  [Just to forestall a foreseeable response: No, I'm not comparing anybody or any party of present interest to Nazis.]

It seems to me that an unusually high percentage of pretty sane and thoughtful people today believe, not only that "YOUR SIDE is behaving much worse than MY SIDE," but also that that proposition is true.  Sometimes they are right about that.

Are they not right about that now?

Mitch