By the way, apropos targeting metaphors and the like

Volokh, Eugene VOLOKH at law.ucla.edu
Thu Apr 1 21:01:42 PDT 2010

        I agree that Democratic elected officials aren't making statements directly advocating violence -- but neither is Sarah Palin.  I agree that eco-terrorists and rioters aren't close to being the mainstream of the Democratic party; but neither are the rare violent members of the conservative movement close to being the mainstream of the Republican party.  Of course the tea party wing is mainstream; but it's not advocating violence, just as there's a mainstream wing of the Democratic party that harshly condemns various police actions and alleged ecological malfeasance without advocating violence.  (I do think that occasional statements about Democrats apologizing for rioters, especially in racial contexts, do tend to "fan flames that these politicians know are there," but those too are exceptions.)  What I think I'm seeing here is the Democrats being given the benefit of the doubt (which I actually think they deserve, since I wouldn't fault the mainstream of either side here), while the Republicans are being held to a completely different standard.

        As to electoral strategies based on fear, of course both sides try to make people fearful -- and rightly so.  There are indeed many things to fear, and if we don't fear them adequately we won't respond adequately.  To be sure, we shouldn't fear them excessively, but that's a problem of excessive fear, not of fear as such.  Democratic politicians focused on fear of global warming, of nuclear proliferation, and so on; both Republican and Democratic politicians focused on fear of crime and terrorism, and of worldwide Communism in its day.  That doesn't make the parties responsible for the tiny violent fringes on the edges of their movement.