Sexually explicit dancing and movies, prostitution laws and the First Amendment

Earl Maltz emaltz at camden.rutgers.edu
Mon Oct 19 10:28:36 PDT 2009

How about this hypothetical:

Suppose I call a bunch of media outlets and say:  "I think
prostitution laws are immoral and should be repealed.  To dramatize
this view, I am going to go downtown, hire a prostitute, go inside my
apartment and have sexual relations with her (even though I have
irrefutable medical evidence demonstrating that I find sex unpleasant
rather than gratifying).  I'm willing to make the sacrifice."

I go downtown, followed by cameras, and make the offer to a random
prostitute.  We then go into my apartment (no cameras) and consumate
the transaction in both senses of the word.

Now this seems much closer to core First Amendment concerns then
someone paying people to have sex in order to make a commercial. film
that will give other people sexual gratification in return for a cash
payment.  but I doubt that many people would argue that I was immune
from arrest and conviction in the hypothetical.