Inquiry on course readings

Cohen,David dsc39 at drexel.edu
Wed Oct 7 13:26:32 PDT 2009

Hi Bob - I don't have a specific recommendation for you, but I do have what might be useful information (and I'm sending this to the entire list because it's information everyone might find useful if they don't know already).

I just recently found out that Aspen will create custom books from any of its books (or any combination of its books) based on whatever chapter(s) you want from its collection of books.  So, if you like Chemerinsky's due process chapters, you can ask Aspen to create a custom book for your course based on those chapters.  Or, if you like one of Chemerinsky's and another of Massey's, same thing.  I have no idea if other publishers do this, but you can certainly ask.  Custom books are cheaper, come in loose-leaf form so students can carry only what they need for a particular class, and don't have material you/they won't need.  On the flip side, the resale value is minimal for students.  But, all students I've surveyed since finding out about them have indicated they don't care about resale and would much prefer the custom book.

Hope this helps.

Yours,

David S. Cohen
Associate Professor of Law
Drexel University Earle Mack School of Law
(215) 571-4714