Obama on a justice's role

Richard D. Friedman rdfrdman at umich.edu
Tue May 26 11:52:05 PDT 2009

Obviously, the President's statement is an exaggeration and
misleading if taken at face value.  But there is an element of truth
in it:  Supreme Court justices are constrained by the law in a way
that legislatures are not.  That doesn't mean the constraints are
always clear or decisive, of course.  And when the Court does
something that appears to be a mere political choice unconstrained by
law -- I'm thinking Bush v. Gore -- much of the public reacts
negatively, and rightly so.

Rich Friedman