Use of homophobe

David Cruz dcruz at law.usc.edu
Sat May 9 22:21:58 PDT 2009

With sincere respect, I submit that whether use of the term ³homophobe² (or
cognates such as ³homophobic²) is helpful depends on the particular
conversation at issue.   If one is trying to understand hate crimes, which
could be useful in assessing the constitutionality of various laws that
might be proposed to restrict such crimes (a topic of obvious relevance to
this listserv), the term could well be useful.

So I am unwilling to accede to Richard Dougherty¹s request to exile that
word from this listserv.   I will use ³homophobe² when I think it, as
distinguished from ³heterosexist,² is proper.   But whether or not anyone
has used it properly and usefully in this thread (much of which I have
spared myself and to which I will try to avoid further contributions), it
has relatively neutral, descriptive, clinical-psychological uses that I
respectfully refuse to eschew.

David B. Cruz
Professor of Law
University of Southern California Gould School of Law
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0071
U.S.A.