"If a Republican candidate had launched his political career at the home of an abortion-clinic bomber"

Paul Finkelman pfink at albanylaw.edu
Mon Oct 13 18:20:25 PDT 2008

I think we need a little reality check here.  What Ayers did happened when Obama was 8 yeas old.  Ayers is not a "bomber" and was not one when he met with Obama; he may be an ex-bomber, the same way the Menachim Begin (Noble Peace Prize winner) was an ex-bomber/terrorist.   This is hardly the same as Obama working with a "bomber" or tererorist today.

As I have suggested already, I think this is mostly about McCain's need to refight the Vietnam War (which we lost and which he does not admit we lost) both in the Campaign and in the Middle East.  It is also his need to find some issue that will take people's mind off the economy (and Iraq) and distract people from remembering that he has mostly supported Bush down the road for 8 years.

To post, send message to Conlawprof at lists.ucla.edu