Davis v. FEC

michael curtis curtism at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 29 18:55:00 PDT 2008

The Davis opinion may be much more troubling than the Pildes blog suggests.  That is so if it implies that public finance statutes that provide additional limited matching funds for candidates outspent by their opt out opponents or by independent groups plus their opponent are unconstitutional.  The NC legislature for example provides public funding for judicial candidates and such a catch up provision.  without some such provision the publicly financed candidate is in danger of being overwhealed by an opponent who opts out.  Any thoughts as to the meaning of Davis for such statutes?

Michael Kent Curtis