Deference to Congress and Boumediene

marty.lederman at comcast.net marty.lederman at comcast.net
Tue Jun 17 20:54:15 PDT 2008

Baher is absolutely correct that Boumediene, whatever else might be said about it, really has very little to say about deference to the political branches.  There was no assessment or judgment to defer to -- it's not as if Congress concluded that the CSRT/CTADC process was the equivalent of habeas and the Court disagreed; indeed, as Kennedy stresses, the whole point of the statute was to cut back severely on what habeas would offer.  The only real questions, then, were whether these detainees were protected by habeas, and, to a certain extent, the meaning of the Swain "functional equivalent" test.  Why would or should the Court defer to Congress on either of those questions?

But now that I think about it, the same might be said of Lopez and Morrison, each of which also had little to do with deference.  In both cases, Rehnquist basically *agreed* with the factual assumptions made by Congress -- the chain of reasoning by which Congress concluded there would be a substantial effect on interstate commerce -- but concluded that such effects simply didn't cut it for purposes of the Commerce Clause.

And once deference is out of the picture, I genuinely fail to see what the cases have in common.  Yes, they both involve judicial review of congressional action -- but that's true of countless cases, and there are very few observers who think the Court should always, or never, invalidate federal statutes.

I know many people who think Lopez and Morrison were rightly decided and that the Court got it wrong in Boumediene.  I disagree on all three counts, but it wouldn't have occurred to me to think the two positions are mutually exclusive or in tension -- to view, say, Scalia and Thomas as hypocritical because they were in the majority in Lopez/Morrison but dissented in Boumediene.

Which leads me to think that perhaps David B. must have been meaning to get at something else entirely . . .

From: Baher Azmy <azmybahe at shu.edu>