Findlaw column: choice of law, the Constitution, and same-sex marriage

Steve Sanders stevesan at umich.edu
Thu Jul 10 00:26:46 PDT 2008

Friends and colleagues,

I have a new column on Findlaw.com:
http://writ.news.findlaw.com/commentary/20080709_sanders.html.  In it I
argue why existing marriage recognition doctrines are outmoded in the face
of thousands of new same-sex marriages from California and Massachusetts
because they give too much deference to states, and I propose a new way of
thinking about marriage recognition as a right protected by the due process
clause.

I'd very much welcome comments or suggestions, as this is the Cliffs Notes
version of a law review piece I'm working on.

Many thanks,

Steve Sanders

Steve Sanders

stevesan @ umich.edu <mailto:stevesan at umich.edu>