Licensing and exam requirements for tour guides

Malla Pollack mallapollack at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 4 09:02:02 PDT 2008

But presumably you have no problem with requiring licensing (based on proof of competence) for history teachers?  This seems to me to be a statute preventing misleading or inaccurate commercial advertising -- by offering a tour you are implicitly claiming enough historical knowledge about Phili to provide a useful tour.

The oddity is the lack of licensing for book authors -- presumably because (unlike tours) you can judge a book before buying it and because books are usually treated delicately because of First Amendment concerns.

Malla Pollack
Barkley School of Law