Age of consent for sex and for marriage

Volokh, Eugene VOLOKH at law.ucla.edu
Wed Apr 23 13:58:23 PDT 2008

	Alaska (sec. 25.05.171, judicial best interests finding
required) and Georgia (title 19, sec. 3102), New York (Domestic
Relations Law sec. 15-a), North Carolina (sec. 51-2.1, at least when the
14-year-old is pregnant or has given birth to a child, judicial best
interests finding required), the Virgin Islands (title 16, sec. 2), and
Vermont (title 18, sec. 5142) seemingly allow 14-year-olds to marry with
parental consent (in the Virgin Islands, age 14 is for girls only)

	New Hampshire law (sec. 457:4, :6) apparently allows 13-year-old
girls to marry with parental consent and (apparently) with judicial
permission.

	Alaska law allows marriages at age 14 even without parental
consent in certain circumstances, if the judge finds the marriage is in
the child's best interests.