children's civil rights

Hamilton02 at aol.com Hamilton02 at aol.com
Wed Apr 23 13:28:13 PDT 2008

The categories that are being blurred here are not the difference between
civil rights and not.  There is a repeated error in this thread.   Sexual abuse
is not sex for children and is not the opposite of consensual  sex -- it's an
expression of violence by adults against children who cannot  defend
themselves.  It's not a near-crime that could have been obviated if  only the child
consented and/or enjoyed it; it's a serious crime.

As a descriptive matter, I think that "emerging civil rights" is a far
better descriptor of the increasingly better treatment of children under the law
of abuse than any other available category.  We are in the midst of a
transition from property to personhood, and the farther children have been  permitted
to evolve from property and laborers-at-will to being persons who have  rights
against sexual and physical assault by adults, the more they have been  able
to demand governments protect them.

Tinker may have been wrong in the sense that children's civil  rights should
not include such a right.  But all rights are matters of  constitutional
line-drawing -- here the issue is whether the child's right to be  free of violence
is to be balanced against the parents' right to control the  child.  This
bodily integrity right is a foundational right, surely  prior to rights to food,
shelter, and other social welfare argued for by  others.

Marci

In a message dated 4/23/2008 1:25:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,