Border Fence case

Steven Jamar stevenjamar at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 17:12:06 PDT 2008

I think I mostly agree with Mark on this on the power part, except that the
way Congress did it was not simply to say "build it notwithstanding every
other statute that might be in the way", but rather "build it in compliance
with our environmental statutes -- unless the executive waives it under some
standard."  And this is where the delegation problem comes in, isn't it?
And the removal of court power to review the executive administration of the
law?

This, I think makes it a closer question, but still I think it is within
congressional power to take away jurisdiction of some of these sorts of
issues, isn't it?  And since it is "merely" the environment that is
affected, and not vested rights of people, the problem of judicial review is
less critical.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven Jamar