affirmative action request

Robert Sheridan rs at robertsheridan.com
Mon Oct 29 14:55:42 PDT 2007

You don't even need to find things that attack the legitimacy of
affirmative action.  All you need to do is to read about how it works
in a place where it is in use as a fundamental proposition for a very
diverse nation:  India.

The book is called "In Spite of the Gods; the Rise of Modern India,"
by Edward Luce,  2006 (or 7).  Here's the Amazon reference as, my
copy is in storage:

http://tinyurl.com/348r7o

Basically what happens is that "the backward peoples" (actual legal
name for a certain legal category of  groups) have a legal
entitlement to so many government jobs and other funding programs.
This makes the so-called (not so very) backward peoples a much sought
after group politically, sometimes with the top tier of brahmins
becoming allies with the bottom tier, the former untouchables,
trading votes and promises of jobs and money to achieve power.  You
read this and congratulate us for not going down that road unless
this is what you want to see here.

I wondered why, during our debates on A-A, no one pointed to India as
a living laboratory, much better than any casebook example of racial
politics.

rs
sfls