Nominations for Coif Book Award??

Gilbert, Lauren lgilbert at STU.EDU
Wed Jun 27 18:45:13 PDT 2007

I would recommend Hiroshi Motomura, Americans in Waiting, Oxford University Press, 2006.

Lauren Gilbert
Associate Professor of Law
St. Thomas University School of Law

________________________________

From: conlawprof-bounces at lists.ucla.edu on behalf of Chris Brooks Whitman
Sent: Wed 6/27/2007 3:25 PM
To: CONLAWPROF at lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Nominations for Coif Book Award??

I could really use your help in choosing the next Coif Book Award winner.
The award is for the best book published in the field of law in 2005-2006,
and I want to make sure that we do not overlook books in fields that are not represented on the committee.

 I would be delighted if  you would let me know if there is a book that you think
we should be sure to consider seriously.
I'd like to hear about anything you or your colleagues have considered particularly insightful or helpful.

We are looking for a book on the subject of law that "evidence[s] creative talent of the highest order" and was published between January 1, 2005, and Dec. 31, 2006.
Creativity is the first element, but we also consider impact, depth of research, and clarity of
presentation.
In the past, we have usually given the award to American authors,
typically law professors (though neither is a firm rule).  We also typically exclude casebooks,
second and subsequent editions and collections of previously published works.
Edited collections could conceivably qualify, but only if they are extraordinary and influential.

In the past this award has been offered every three years, but the number of
excellent law books published each year has increased so dramatically that
Coif decided to issue it every two years, starting with the last selection.

The last three awards went to:

Jerry Mashaw, GREED, CHAOS AND GOVERNANCE, Yale University Press, 1997.

Charles W. McCurdy, THE ANTI-RENT ERA IN NEW YORK LAW AND POLITICS 1839-1865.  University of North Carolina Press, 2001.
        and
Edward A. Purcell, Jr., BRANDEIS AND THE PROGRESSIVE CONSTITUTION. Yale University Press, 2000.

John Langbein, THE ORIGINS OF ADVERSARY CRIMINAL TRIAL.  Oxford, 2003.

Thanks for your help.

Chris Whitman
Chair, Coif Book Award Committee

Francis A. Allen Collegiate Professor of Law
University of Michigan Law School
734-764-9535