Distinguishing Bush from Lincoln, Jefferson and FDR

Jonathan Miller jmiller at swlaw.edu
Tue Jul 10 13:44:08 PDT 2007

The Emancipation Proclamation would certainly qualify for your first point -- effectively disregarding the Fugitive  Slave Law as well as existing Supreme Court precedent on property rights.  I would argue that what makes the Civil War distinguishable is the nature of the conflict, with national survival clearly at stake.

Jonathan Miller