Did O'Connor become more liberal

Lynne Henderson hendersl at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 26 08:28:57 PST 2007

Agreed--we need to study *all* her opinions and evolution.
certainly she sought a middle way with Souter and Kennedy in *Casey* whether
you like it or not. she became pursuaded that the viability of the unborn
would not be enhanced much beyond medical technology, but saw the meaningful
line as being viability. In *casey*,t he noticing of women no longe rbeing
subject to their husbands, as being separate individuals, etc. has to  have
come from O'connor, nu?
 In sex discrimination cases, she was undoubtedly informed by her own
experiences and call it "liberal" if you want, but . . . I also think having
Justice Ginsburg there helped as they could support each other.  (Ginsburg
was recently quoted as saying it was lonely without O'Connor)
Jusitce scalia's nasty ad feminam attacks on O'connor may have pushed her
more than Thomas. . .
Finally, because O'Connor admired Powell, balancing played a large role in
her "particularism" and she got bashe dby Nino and others for it.  For
example, in *Grutter,* the Powell way made sense to her.
As forKennedy, he has long been troubled by discrimation against LGBT
persons,  he has a strong western libertarian streak on individual rights,
and he sees federalism as part of that libertarianism . . .
Lynne Henderson