Overruling Precedents

rjlipkin at aol.com rjlipkin at aol.com
Sun Feb 25 10:55:05 PST 2007

 My original request has taken on a new focus which was rather pedestrian. Now I'm interested in overruling precedent as a practice. Is there any empirical research which hones close to actual Supreme Court practice, yet tries to develop a coherent account (if there is one), I 'm reluctant to call it a theory, of the circumstances, reasons, subject matter of the cases, and so forth of when the Court overrules precedent?

  Bobby

 Robert Justin Lipkin
 Professor of Law
 Widener university School of Law