"Government of the people, by the people, and for the people"

Steven Jamar stevenjamar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 07:11:46 PST 2007

Bobby,

Fun question.  When just hear it, it makes good sense; when you parse
it, it becomes more difficult.  Lots of things are like this.

At the risk of being a bit too course, here-- lose the philosopher's
cap and put on the rhetoritician's.  This speech was crafted as a
speech, not as a philosophical argument. So you get the rhythm of the
three words emphasized by the almost mystical power of 3-time
repetition, with a slight change of emphasis by changing the leading
preposition.

I like the "of" as a generative or belonging-to kind of thing -- is
organically of us, not apart from us.  It is also by us -- we actually
do it.  And it is for us -- for our benefit, not the king's.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven Jamar
Howard University School of Law