civil rights/con law question

Rosenthal, Lawrence rosentha at chapman.edu
Tue Feb 20 17:56:55 PST 2007

A plausible reading of the plurality opinion in Croson is that absent a constitutional violation by a unit of government (e.g. intentional discrimination), the narrowly tailored remedy for a discriminatory practice is to end the practice, rather than creating preferential access to a government benefit on the basis of race.  Now that Adarand applies this concept to racial classifications created by federal statute, I suspect that Title VII will be read to forbid race-conscious remedies on the theory that there is no compelling government interest in remedying "mere" disparate impact violations, and that for such violations, a race-neutral alternative in the form of prospective relief is available and is the narrowly tailored remedy for such violations.  I suspect that this reading will be gain the support of a majority.  In addition to the three justices that Professor Hewnderson mentions, let us not forget the Chief Justice, who only last Term wrote:  "It is a sordid business, this divvying us up by race."  True, he was talking about the Voting Rights Act and not Title VII, but it bespeaks a certain mindset.  So, as usual, it all comes down to Justice Kennedy, but so far, he has never voted to sustain race-conscious relief.

Larry Rosenthal
Chapman University School of Law