Justice Thomas's Memoir

DavidEBernstein at aol.com DavidEBernstein at aol.com
Wed Dec 5 15:22:03 PST 2007

Let's go over this one more time.  Michael Zimmer wrote that the logic  of
the situation is that Hill was telling the truth. Why? "Then-Judge Thomas had
all to gain by denying Professor Hill's claim and she had little to  gain, but
doing her civic duty, bycoming  forward."

It's not 100% whether Prof. Zimmer was addressing her initial claim, made
confidentially to the Judiciary Committee, her ultimate willingness to come
forward and testify against him, or both (though the context implied to me
both).  So I addressed both, and showed that in neither case does "logic"  dictate
that she was telling the truth (nor does it dictate that she was  lying).  I
should note that she had the choice at both points not to come  forward.

When the allegation was first made, confidentially, Prof. Hill may just  have
been doing her civic duty, or she may have disliked Thomas for person,
ideological, or other reasons.  If the latter, than she did have something  to
gain--personal satisfaction at helping to defeat Thomas--but also nothing to
lose, assuming, fairly I think that she trusted the committee to keep her
allegations confidential.

Once the allegations became public, Prof. Hill could have demurrred from
pursuing them further, or she could do what she did.  At this point,  Michael
Zimmer's post suggests that he still thinks she had little to  gain.  But she did
gain, as is obvious, winning fame, fortune and adulation  (though also, of
course, suffering attacks from the right).  And if she had  declined to testify,
not only would she not have gained, some people would have  surmised that she
was unwilling to publicly assert her allegations because they  weren't true
to begin with, which couldn't have helped her.

And, to address another of Prof. Alexander's points, Prof. Hill was
certainly obscure, having no citations in the Westlaw database (beyond here own  two
publications and one "thank you") as of the end of 1990.  That doesn't  make
her "unqualfied," but it does mean that she would have been highly unlikely  (to
put it mildly) to come to Brandeis's attention but for the Thomas-Hill
hearings.

Brandeis, after all, simply doesn't go out and recruit law professors  for
anything.  No one else on Brandeis's legal studies faculty is a former  law
professor, _http://www.brandeis.edu/programs/legal_studies/faculty.html_
(http://www.brandeis.edu/programs/legal_studies/faculty.html) ,  and I believe the rest
all have Ph.Ds, as I believe was true when I was an  undergraduate there.

In a message dated 12/5/2007 5:30:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,