As applied challenges to the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act

Conkle, Daniel O. conkle at indiana.edu
Fri Apr 20 04:59:10 PDT 2007

This is a very interesting and important question, and I'd love to hear
justiciability in this context, but I've been assuming that Carhart or
other doctors who perform intact D & E could institute pre-enforcement,
as-applied challenges seeking particularized declaratory and injunctive
relief on the ground that they have in the past performed this procedure
to protect the health of women with specific sorts of medical conditions
(detailing these conditions, at least as general categories of medical
conditions; see Ginsburg's dissent at 10 for a couple of examples); that
they anticipate the need to perform it for medical reasons in the future
(perhaps in circumstances requiring prompt or immediate action, with no
time to seek judicial relief at that point); and that they fear
prosecution, etc.  Am I mistaken?

Dan Conkle
Daniel O. Conkle
Robert H. McKinney Professor of Law