Second amendment thread

RJLipkin at aol.com RJLipkin at aol.com
Wed Apr 18 10:49:02 PDT 2007

In a message dated 4/18/2007 1:42:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mpollack at ajsl.us writes:

Anyone  who wants to tie the current meaning of a Constitutional Text to the
"public  meaning" at any historical period should (but seldom does) supply
evidence  from publicly read documents -- Like newspapers.  I did this with the
so-called Intellectual Property Clause and Randy Barnett did it with the
commerce clause.

Although such evidence might be helpful, I doubt it can be  dispositive just
as if someone currently tried to understand critical terms by  reading public
documents. Indeed, "public-meaning" theorists, in my view, first  need a
theory of meaning, that is, of current meaning, then they must apply it  to the
past. I do not think--of course, I can be wrong--that there is any  originalist
who first consults the philosophy of language and meaning or  constructs a
theory of meaning on his or her own, and then applies it to the  past. Moreover,
it's not clear to me that even if one has a theory of current  meaning that
that theory applies without alteration to the past.

Bobby

Robert Justin  Lipkin
Professor of Law
Widener University School of  Law