Second amendment thread

David Bernstein davidebernstein at aol.com
Wed Apr 18 10:29:44 PDT 2007

Yes, I think this goes back to Justice Black.  His goal in "incorporating"
the Bill of Rights was to both protect basic fundamental rights, and to try
to ensure that courts had as little discretion as possible in "creating"
rights.  Applying different standards to the states and the federal
government would open the door to what Black would have considered what we
today call "judicial activism."  Not coincidentally, Black is the source of
the idea that Bolling v. Sharpe was an equal protection case that requires
the same standard be enforced against the feds under the 5th Amendment's
due process clause as is applied against the states under the EP clause.
Black was responsible for Warren deleting language from Bolling that would
have made it clear that Bolling was actually a "substantive due process"
case, and for later opinions asserting that Bolling was all about equal
protection.

For (much) more on Bolling, see my Georgtown Law Journal article, Bolling,
Equal Protection, Due Process, and Lochnerphobia, available at
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=761926.

  _____