shouldRE: Ther North Carolina (Duke lacrosse) case /Offline Please

Ronald Nelson rnelson at usouthal.edu
Fri Apr 13 08:59:52 PDT 2007

A starting place might be the opinion in Burns v. Reed, 500 U.S. 478 (1991) (J. White) which draws a distinction between a prosecutors actions in court and actions involved in the investigation of a crime.  In Burns, a section 1983 action, absolute immunity covered the former situation but not the latter - the Court affirmed a directed verdict in favor of the prosecutor for court activity (obtaining a search warrant) but reversed the D.V. with respect to legal advice to the police before court appearances.

Ron Nelson

University of South Alabama

>>> "Bezanson, Randall P" <randy-bezanson at uiowa.edu> 04/13/07 8:29 AM >>>
I know that Prof. Holden's message asked for off line responses, but the
topic of the Duke cases raises two questions about which I know little,
but would be interested in others' informed views.  First, is
prosecutorial immunity absolute, and second, if not, what would have to
be proven to override it should the boys' families wish to sue to
recover their substantial costs of defense over the past year?

Randy Bezanson
University of Iowa Law School