The Pelosi Controversy: Some (Legal) Context

Volokh, Eugene VOLOKH at law.ucla.edu
Mon Apr 9 16:35:46 PDT 2007

    Yes; I agree with Michael Dorf's view that the Constitution "is best
read to forbid [such] congressional freelancing,"
http://michaeldorf.org/2007/04/congressional-foreign-policy.html:

The Bush administration undoubtedly overreaches when it contends that
the President's power as Commander in Chief precludes Congress---which
has more enumerated powers relative to war than the President
does---from "micro-managing" the war through troop withdrawal deadlines
and the like. Yet surely the administration has a point (albeit a
different one) in objecting to Speaker Pelosi's acting as messenger to
Syria on Israel's behalf at a time when the State Department opposes
direct talks with Syria. (Whether that opposition makes sense is a
different matter.) The Constitution's Article II gives the President the
power to "receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers," while
providing Congress with no parallel authority for conducting
diplomacy---other than the power to confirm U.S. diplomats.

The conventional wisdom holds that the government should speak with one
voice on matters of foreign relations, and having Congress conduct its
own diplomatic missions certainly contradicts that wisdom. To be sure,
it's not obvious that the conventional wisdom is right. For example,
recently the administration has been using congressional threats of
funding cuts to Iraq and Pakistan as a bad cop to its own good cop, and
even if the tactic fails in these particular cases, it can be generally
useful. That strikes me as true even if the good cop and bad cop are not
simply playing a game but are in fact pursuing different policies. The
resulting ambiguity can turn out to be productive.

But even if the conventional wisdom is therefore sometimes wrong as a
matter of policy, it looks right as a matter of constitutional
interpretation. The Constitution is best read to forbid congressional
freelancing (to be distinguished from such things as congressional
factfinding missions to foreign countries for the purpose of oversight
of appropritations and related matters). Speaker Pelosi may undermine
her public position on Iraq---where the Constitution clearly
contemplates a substantial role for Congress---by asserting authority in
an area where the Constitution truly supports Presidential prerogrative.

    The way to better cement this constitutional norm is for the House
to speak out institutionally against such conduct (whether through a
formal bill of censure or a resolution doesn't much matter to me).  I
think it's unlikely it will do so, precisely because she's majority
leader, but I would think it eminently legitimate for her critics to
introduce such a measure.