Substantive Due Process Fundamental Right to Privacy -anachronistic or not?

Elizabeth Dale edale1 at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 29 16:09:56 PDT 2006

Isn't the question something else, Howard? It may be that the Court (or
Justice Kennedy) doesn't see a distinction between liberty and privacy, and
in that the modern Court is much like the late 19th and early 20th century
Court, which tended to talk about the right to the property of one's labor
and the right to liberty of contract as if they were identical, even though
they strike me as being both categorically and substantively distinct.

But the fact that the Court tends to elide privacy and liberty doesn't make
the two the same. It strikes me a right to privacy provides a much weaker
protection than a right to have the liberty to do certain things. "Don't
ask, don't tell" is about privacy, Lawrence is about liberty. They hardly
provide the same level of protection.

Elizabeth Dale

Associate Professor, US Legal History, Department of History, University of
Florida

Affiliate Professor, Legal History, Levin College of Law, University of
Florida

PO Box 117320

Gainesville, Florida 32611

edale at history.ufl.edu