shortest federal court docket -- case or controversy question

Sisk, Gregory C. GCSISK at stthomas.edu
Mon Sep 11 16:40:15 PDT 2006

To make the response more concrete, the United States Court of Federal
Claims is an Article I court whose judges not only have their chambers
inside a federal courthouse but share courthouse with the Article III judges
of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.  Moreover,
because the judges of the Court of Federal Claims travel throughout the
country for the convenience of the parties, they regularly hold hearings in
other federal courthouses throughout the nation.

In most respects, the judges of the Court of Federal Claims remains Article
I judges only in form, as while they officially are appointed for fifteen
year terms, by statute even if not reappointed they remain in office as
"senior judges" continuing to exercise judicial responsibilities.  With the
exception of congressional reference matters, which are a very small part of
the docket, the subject matter of the Court of Federal Claims could be
adjudicated by an Article III court.  In my view, there is every reason to
grant this court full standing as an Article III court.  But for now it is
an Article I court -- and, again, it has its own shared federal courthouse.

[Shameless self-promotion:  The Court of Federal Claims, its history, its
jurisdiction, etc., are discussed at some length in my treatise on
"Litigation with the Federal Government" (ALI-ABA, 4th ed., 2006).]

Gregory Sisk
Professor of Law
University of St. Thomas School of Law (Minnesota)
MSL 400, 1000 LaSalle Avenue
Minneapolis, MN  55403-2005
651-962-4923
gcsisk at stthomas.edu