Post on freed slaves

MatthewHPolSci at aol.com MatthewHPolSci at aol.com
Thu Sep 7 16:12:36 PDT 2006

I hope colleagues will not think it improper if I ask for precise
verification by the sender of the passage that I have quoted below..

"Freed slaves were often seized and re-enslaved by others, or hung as
'vagabonds", especially in Virginia and a few other states. In some states it  was
easier, but most who effectively freed their slaves moved them to western
states, gave them land, and set them up to live independently, and there were
reasons why they felt they had to do that."

"Often seized and re-enslaved by others."  How many?  Where?  When?  Source
of information?  Chapter and verse to the extent  possible.

"Hung as 'vagabonds?'"  Same level of detail as in the previous  topic?  What
sources on Virginia verify this claim?  What are the "few  other states?"
Ditto as to verification?

"Most who effectively freed their slaves moved them to western states, gave
them land, and set them up to live independently."  I would appreciate the
same kind of answer.  How many people freed slaves?  Where did they  move them?
How did they set them up, etc.

Each statement gives a certain vision of American society and American law,
and its option also gives a vision.  In an academic panel, in a hearing, or
in any other face to face setting, the sender would be asked for proof.  I
think the same standard applies here in this electronic version.  I hope  the
sender agrees.

 I think the same request has already been made by Professor Paul  Finkelman,
but I did not see the answer

Matthew  Holden, Jr.
Henry L. and Grace M. Doherty Professor Emeritus of  Politics,
University of Virginia
***
Address:
160 Rollingwood  Drive