Bush v. Gore and the Political Question Doctrine

Andy Siegel siegel at law.law.sc.edu
Thu Sep 7 11:11:58 PDT 2006

Whether that fact is a "problem" turns on what you think the political "question" is.  If
you conceptualize the case as asking the United States Supreme Court to step in
and decide a Florida intra-branch dispute as to what the state's laws say about how
the state's electors should be picked, then a strong case can be made that the
Constitution's text specifically allocates the authority to make that decision to
Congress as part of its authority to count the electoral votes.  On this
conceptualiztion of the case, the fact that the Florida courts had already participated
doesn't pose a problem for the political question analysis.

--Andy Siegel