The Purpose(s) of Originalism

RJLipkin at aol.com RJLipkin at aol.com
Sun Sep 3 10:35:03 PDT 2006

Isn't it the case that  answering such questions: (1) does originalism
constrain judges?, (2) does  originalism require the moral values of the Founders?,
(3) which form of  "originalism"--originalism as intentionalism or originalism
as the dated public  meaning, and so forth--depend completely on what
purpose(s) originalism is  supposed to serve. For example, some may say, for example
Stanley Fish, if I understand him correctly, that intentionalism--or
authorial meaning--is the only interpretive methodology involved in  ascertaining the
meaning of a text and all other disputes occur within the  context of
authorial meaning.  Nevertheless authorial meaning might take on  a wholly different
form when shifting from ordinary literary interpretations to  constitutional
interpretations because the latter may have (should have?)  specific political
philosophical purposes. While originalism purports to  be, and is, a theory of
meaning, the fact that it is a theory of meaning  of constitutional text, in
contradistinction say, to a theory of meaning of  War and Peace matters, I
would think. Theories of meaning may  be uniform across disciplinary
contexts--the same theory of meaning may  apply to every domain of human inquiry--or they
might differ according to the  disciplinary context. Either way determining
which purposes originalism is  supposed to serve seems to be necessary before we
can reach any consensus at all  concerning the questions above.

Bobby

Robert Justin Lipkin
Professor of Law
Widener  University School of Law