Repeal of race preference programs: Effects onAsiansandpublicreactions

Rick Duncan nebraskalawprof at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 06:06:50 PST 2006

Steve, every person is a unique individual, and every person thus diversifies a law school or other school. I recall Alan Dershowitz once saying something like "When my colleagues talk about diversity, what they mean is people of different colors, genders, and sexual orientations who all think exactly as they [his colleagues] do."

  I think lots of perspectives are underrepresented on the faculties (and to a lesser extent, the student bodies) of universities. Indeed, I am a member of several underrepresented communities. But I won't open up that can of worms right now.

  One more point about my supposed "white privilege." To the extent that I am privileged, it is because I was raised by two parents, who married before having children, and who then stayed together until death did them part. They weren't well educated, they were affluent, they didn't have a lot of ill-gotten loot stolen from others,  but they were there--together--for me.

  Rick Duncan
Steven Jamar <stevenjamar at gmail.com> wrote:

A child of a privileged black family still brings diversity, Rick.  But you don't value diversity based on race, so this carries no weight with you.  That child may well come from a black cultural perspective, may have grown up in a black community, attended a black church, and have a composite set of values that regardless of the variability within the non-monolithic black community still is different from  yours.  And, even if that person is not "black enough", that type of diversity within the group is itself valuable.  And we should affirmatively act to include people of all backgrounds, and we should be able to include race as one of the parts of a person's background.

  Race (still) matters.

  Steve "too-often-the-proxy-black-because-I-teach-at-Howard" Jamar

    --
  Prof. Steven D. Jamar                     vox:  202-806-8017
  Howard University School of Law           fax:  202-806-8567
  2900 Van Ness Street NW         mailto:stevenjamar at gmail.com
  Washington, DC  20008                 http://iipsj.com/SDJ/

  But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
  In proving foresight may be vain;
  The best-laid schemes o’ mice an’ men
                      Gang aft agley,
  An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
                      For promis’d joy!

  Robert Burns, 1785

To post, send message to Conlawprof at lists.ucla.edu

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private. Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.

  Rick Duncan
Welpton Professor of Law
University of Nebraska College of Law
Lincoln, NE 68583-0902

"It's a funny thing about us human beings: not many of us doubt God's existence and then start sinning. Most of us sin and then start doubting His existence."  --J. Budziszewski (The Revenge of Conscience)

  "Once again the ancient maxim is vindicated, that the perversion of the best is the worst." -- Id.