"Affirmative action era is over, longtime foe says"

Lynne Henderson hendersl at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 26 16:17:55 PST 2006

David is right in noting that the designation "Asian American" hides
the vast differentials among members of different communities--a 4th
generation Japanese American or Chinese American or Korean American
will be quite different from a first-or second-generation Vietnamese
American or Laotian American or Hmong.   The stereotype of "model
minority" also plays a huge role here. ("Oh, they're all engineers and
doctors) See William Kidder's work on this in Calif. L. Rev. a few
years ago, and the Brest/Oshige article in Stanford L. Rev. I mentioned
earlier.

The University of California (and Lowell High School in SF) both got
sued for "quotas" on "Asian Americans" because "their" numbers tended
to be higher than anyone's.  Cal and Lowell both backed off. (I took
perverse joy in the fact that Anglos would be disadvantaged vis-a-vis
"Asians"--again if they're from  the more "established" groups, just as
Cuban Americans excel while Mexican Americans and Puerto Ricans
struggle). Numbers are up at cal undergraduate, and "white" numbers are
down.  But as one gets tired of saying again and again, people are more
than their numbers.  That does not mean I believe that there should be
a ceiling on the number or percentage of admittees, only that you have
to be very, very careful about generalizations.

Additionally,  I have read many articles on the Li case that are highly
critical of his lawsuit--he has many classmates who are from similar
backgrounds who got into Princeton. (urls on office computer, I'm away;
  the Princeton student newspaper for one was highly  critical, but of
course thy are biased? Of course anyone who has an axe to t grind in
this is biased) And he's at *Yale* and feels discriminated against?
Give me a break.

   When there are so many highly qualified applicants and so few spots,
one looks for people who will *add* something rather than replicate it,
nu?  Or are we completely secure in saying that we all should be alike?
  No accounting for the differences in opportunities the upper middle
class kids have?  No accounting for achievement "in spite of"?  As well
as the ridiculously extensive resumes today's undergraduate applicants
have to submit to "fancy, elite" schools to  have a prayer--who
arranges that?  Parents?  A well-staffed high school?  What about
people who don't have time for their "community work" when they are
helping to  pay their own, and their  families',  bills by working
20-30 hours a week in high school?

Sincerely
Lynne Henderson