Affirmative Action

Mark Graber MGRABER at gvpt.umd.edu
Mon Nov 13 05:53:46 PST 2006

For a similar questioning of the centrality of affirmative action as
means for improving racial equality in the United States, see Adolph
Reed, THE JESSE JACKSON PHENOMENON.

Mark A. Graber

>>> Earl Maltz <emaltz at camden.rutgers.edu> 11/13/06 8:48 AM >>>
It seems to me that Larry Rosenthal's post points up the pressing
importance of affirmative action in a quite different context.  If
rampant
violence is to be decreased in our inner cities, strict law enforcement

must be combined with a level of trust between the police and the
communities themselves.  This trust is far more likely to be achieved
if
those responsible for policing are drawn from the communities which
they serve.