New ConLaw Casebook--Is This Appropriate?

Frank Cross crossf at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 1 16:27:35 PST 2006

Well, it comes down to the appropriate baseline.  There has certainly in
the past been religious beliefs that would have prevented renting to blacks
or Jews.  Would it have been appropriate for a book at that time to refer
to the landowners' beliefs as racist or anti-Semitic?  In retrospect, sure.

I probably would have eschewed using the term homophobic as unnecessarily
inflammatory and distracting.  But there is certainly a non-trivial
argument that contemporary discrimination against gays is parallel to the
past discrimination against blacks or Jews.  The author gets to make that
call, along with the adopter.

Frank Cross
McCombs School of Business
The University of Texas at Austin