The Left, patriotism, and threats to the Capacity of My In Box

Volokh, Eugene VOLOKH at law.ucla.edu
Mon Jan 30 10:20:07 PST 2006

    Well, one poster did say -- with little by way of cues that this was
just a joke or a purely academic hypothetical, that "The country is
bitterly divided politically and culturally, and largely failing
seriously to pursue the general welfare. Why shouldn't the blue states
hold a convention, a la  Hartford, and consider the appropriate terms
for remaining within this union? One way of looking at our situation is
that after Lincoln placed the union before checks and balances, the
north won the war militarily but
lost it politically, ironically sacrificing key aspects of both
federalism and civil rights and liberties in the process.  The most
conspicuous benefit is that we have been able to pursue our failed
imperialist agenda, with all the burdens thereunto appertaining. If
remedies within the constitution, such as impeachment or decisive
electoral success, are not available--why not secede?"  He then went on
to write "Why would Bush's government be compelled to resist a secession
movement, forcibly or otherwise?  If it's obvious that Bush would
emulate Milosevic and not Havel, what does that say about Bush?  It
would further his domestic agenda if New York,
Hollywood, Boston and other liberal dens of iniquity were gone.  Surely
the downside is not just that red states, unwilling to tax themselves,
need the federal subsidies they get from blue states?  How do blue
states benefit?  Likewise, why wouldn't both sides gain if pro-life
states seceded?"  Another wrote "With regard to 'economic
practicalities,' has anyone done a study of the relative economic
contributions of the 'blue' and 'red' states, and which states pay more
taxes than they receive benefits from the federal government, and which
pay less taxes than they receive benefits?  It seems clear that the blue
states are the economic and technological engine of
the U.S., so perhaps secession would not be economically harmful to
them. The present administration and its supporters also tend to be
pretty anti-science, and becoming more so every year, so it may be that
secession would create a healthier climate for technological progress in
the future."

    If indeed this was all facetious, or speculation of the "I surely
think this is a bad idea, but what would happen if . . ." variety, I'm
pleased to hear it.  It just didn't seem that way to me.

    Nonetheless, I agree that it would be better if we returned to
rigorous, interesting discussions about constitutional law, and not
about "the ever more mysterious Democratic party," or about secession
(except insofar as we're talking about the constitutional law of
secession), or about whether the 2004 election was -- despite the
seeming consensus to the contrary -- stolen through massive voter fraud,
or whether President Bush believes "l'etat c'est moi," or a variety of
other things.  (Of course, if President Bush's supposedly quasi-royalist
beliefs are relevant enough to constitutional law to count, then
presumably patriotism, one of the most important defenses of the
national constitutional order, would be as well.)