modest proposal of secession

Volokh, Eugene VOLOKH at law.ucla.edu
Fri Jan 27 10:40:19 PST 2006

	Of course it is -- but sometimes even tearing things down is
pretty difficult, no?  Seriously, as I asked, can anyone please name the
states which they think will actually secede -- states in which a
temporary annoyance with this current batch of political leaders (who
could easily be replaced in 2008 or 2012 with a Democrat, who might not
be as far left as a few people might like but who'd likely be not far
from that state's median voter) will overcome feelings of (1) American
patriotism, (2) concerns about economic practicalities, (3) deep
connections to friends and family in other states, friends and family
whom people have always seen and will always see as fellow citizens, and
more?  Can anyone name the states in which a secession movement would
even garner 30% of the vote?  In which it would be anything but
political suicide for whatever party should tolerate it within its
midst?