the ever more mysterious Democratic Party

J. Noble jfnbl at earthlink.com
Thu Jan 26 20:03:17 PST 2006

>... the skill of the Republican Party's being able to reject a
>conventional politics tilted toward the center in favor of a far
>more radical politics....

What might pass for "radical" Republican politics as viewed from the
left doesn't violate the conventional wisdom that you have to woo the
center in a two-party system because, as they say in Texas, it's all
hat and no cattle. They promise the repeal of the estate tax, and
deliver Medicare coverage of prescription drugs, the largest
entitlement program since Johnson's Great Society. They promise a
Supreme Court that will reverse Roe, and deliver one that decides
Lawrence. They promise to return political authority to the States,
and deliver the No Child Left Behind Act. The government is not so
much sharply divided between right and left as it is tightly lashed
to the center. Republicans have controlled the House, Senate and
White House for five years and the most "radical" thing they've done
(excluding the Partial Birth Abortion Ban, Iraq War resolution, and
Patriot Act because they all passed with large bipartisan majorities
and broad public support) was the 2001 Economic Growth and Tax Relief
Reconciliation Act, which phased in tax reductions over 9 years
before a sunset provision repeals them 2 years later. If that's
radical, what does cautiously conservative look like?

To the extent that the "character of contemporary politics ... can be
fairly described in terms of a bitterly split governing elite," I
think it's almost all show. Sen. Specter aptly described the last day
of the Judiciary Committee hearings on the Alito nomination, during
which members took turns praising and damning the nominee in terms
that suggested either the second coming or Rosemary's baby, as a
"minuet." They were appeasing the special interests that lined the
hearing room walls instead of appealing to the center because the
outcome is a foregone conclusion -- a conclusion dictated by the
center when it refused to buy the attempt to portray Alito as a
radical.

John Noble