Democrats & Alito

Sanford Levinson SLevinson at law.utexas.edu
Sat Jan 14 08:03:56 PST 2006

As I've argued before, if the Dems are secretly hoping that Alito will quickly vote to overrule Roe (even though there are not now, even with Alito, five votes to do so), then that is smart politics.  But my own prediction is that Alito will choose the strategy that he outlined years ago, which is to eviscerate Roe without formally overruling it, while at the same time writing the President a blank check (unless, of course, Hillary become President, in which case all bets may be off about Alito and the unfettered presidency).